I am Shelley Smart, an artist and amateur photographer. I recently moved to “The Beach.” I wondered how a whole year of beach living would measure up. What wonders might I find or see? How would the days change or remain much the same? Is there a rhythm to the days? Did the wind always blow? And just how bad for you was eating and breathing sand? In an attempt to answer all these questions (and more) I’ve been compiling a daily record in photographs and words of A Year at the Beach since February 21, 2010. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 4, 2011

Fourth of July crowds!

"How to Learn to Boogie Board"

The Seal Slide -- if there was water...

Ooooh noooo, a wave...

July 5 beach


What glorious weather for a Fourth of July holiday! You’ve seen my photos of the mostly empty beach on typical days throughout the year, and today (like last July 4) was definitely an exception to the empty beach rule with crowds of happy people playing on the beach and in the waves all day long.

Family joined us to enjoy an afternoon at the beach, too. It’s the only time I can get my husband to sit under an umbrella for, well, any length of time. The grandkids had a blast. Grandson Austin was learning to boogie-board and found great fun with his sister by digging in a big sand hole and sliding down the sand! Oh, and, lastly, I post a photo of another almost brave young woman who faced the incoming wave from her hole in the sand, but soon skedaddled.

For contrast, I end with a photo of the beach on July 5. (Still a wonderful day!)

5 comments:

  1. When the crowds only come on certain days, it makes it a pleasure to find activity on the beach, not to mention photo opportunities! I need to get myself to the ocean one of these days... Aaahhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It was great to see so many people out there having fun! I like the energy of a busy beach. Mind you, it wasn't so busy you couldn't find lots of empty sand to set up your umbrella!

    In Maine, I liked going to a rocky shore just as well as a beach. As a young child, we lived on the coast, albeit in a sheltered bay, but I still remember that time. Then we moved to the country and the preferred summer spot was at a lake up your way, Susan. Much better swimming for a passel of kids! I have fond memories of picnics and being water-logged and ice cream cones on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great snapshots of this special day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Johanna! How's it going? Glad you stopped by! Been busy with family, but hope to get back to beach-ing and painting in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete