I am Shelley Smart, an artist and amateur photographer. I recently moved to “The Beach.” I wondered how a whole year of beach living would measure up. What wonders might I find or see? How would the days change or remain much the same? Is there a rhythm to the days? Did the wind always blow? And just how bad for you was eating and breathing sand? In an attempt to answer all these questions (and more) I’ve been compiling a daily record in photographs and words of A Year at the Beach since February 21, 2010. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 29, 2011







Tried to get out to the beach for low tide in mid-afternoon, but it was one of those tides that is suppose to be low, but, in actuality, really isn’t. Still, I liked it.

I am more surprised on these low-key and overcast days that there are as many people as there are on the beach than are not. There wasn’t much happening but the waves were beautiful. I offer my day’s selection of waves in the order I took their photos. First photo: I was fascinated by these green waves that rose out of the blue-tinged water like they were made of a different ocean. The sky was overcast today but the waves reflected the palest and prettiest blues (second photo). Yummy. The third little wave is definitely going to be a painting. And (fourth photo) it crashed in a most lyrical fashion. A little later in the afternoon, the waves (last photo) developed “shivers” as I call them but still held that silvery light.

I know I could caption the photos but when I began this blog, I didn’t know how to, or maybe it wasn’t available so I began just writing my descriptions as a story. I hate to change my ways now. LOL

13 comments:

  1. So glad you are back. Wonderful wave photos! The color of the ocean is constantly changing it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lee! Glad to be back. It was kinda hot in Texas!! Hope you're keeping cool! Your new paintings are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had 45 days in a row of 100 degrees and over here in Texas. Wish I could be standing in one of those waves! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter has moved from Austin to SoCal and is marveling at the cool breezes here on the coast. She hated those hot, hot summers. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelley, I too am mesmerized by waves. Love this series. I think it's time for a Shelley/Mary collaboration. I loved painting that beautiful palm tree.
    Whatcha think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shelley. Love the images here- inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dancing waves. Love it! When are you coming back?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure when I might post again. I did take some great photos that I'd like to post if I can just stay home long enough to do it! I am not home right now but maybe next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always miss seeing your "view", Shelley... Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Marian! I am well! I even have more shots to post but can't seem to make it happen! Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just have to pop in and say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Shelley!

    ReplyDelete