I am Shelley Smart, an artist and amateur photographer. I recently moved to “The Beach.” I wondered how a whole year of beach living would measure up. What wonders might I find or see? How would the days change or remain much the same? Is there a rhythm to the days? Did the wind always blow? And just how bad for you was eating and breathing sand? In an attempt to answer all these questions (and more) I’ve been compiling a daily record in photographs and words of A Year at the Beach since February 21, 2010. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Monday, June 6, 2011

May 31, 2011





It was a gorgeous day last Tuesday and there were many pelicans fishing and gliding by. (I just found these forgotten photos on my camera -- oops.) This one group made a pass directly overhead. Aren't their precision flying formations spectacular? I was able to get great shots of one guy/girl who was most directly above me. The reflected light from the sand was pretty great, too.

Then there was this gull who had grabbed a bit of lunch from somebody's picnic! I hope there was something in that paper for him to enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Great photos! Love the closeup on the pelican. I am having trouble commenting on my own blog, just want to say it's great to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE pelicans, and your photos are fabulous. What are you up to these days???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Marian! I love pelicans, too, as you can tell! I'm not "up to" a whole lot. Just doing a few small beach-inspired paintings and planning a couple others. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that formation flying is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are stunning shots Shelley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful photos of the pelicans. Aren't they fabulous!

    ReplyDelete