I am Shelley Smart, an artist and amateur photographer. I recently moved to “The Beach.” I wondered how a whole year of beach living would measure up. What wonders might I find or see? How would the days change or remain much the same? Is there a rhythm to the days? Did the wind always blow? And just how bad for you was eating and breathing sand? In an attempt to answer all these questions (and more) I’ve been compiling a daily record in photographs and words of A Year at the Beach since February 21, 2010. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 21, 2011







At last, a wonderful sunny day at the beach! And it was so fitting that it was the first official day of summer. Because I moved from the very humid and very hot southern US (even though that was a few years ago), I am still so surprised (in a nice way) by the cool weather that dominates the CA coast in June. And that includes the ubiquitous fog, aka June gloom.

Some of my favorite scenes from this walk on the beach included a very kind and seemingly gentle man and his dog taking a break from throwing and chasing balls. A brilliant yellow plane made its way through a brilliant blue sky. Love that contrast! The waves were beautiful colors, too. And when I took a last look back at the ocean as I walked home, I was captivated by the view of the lifeguard stand against the sunlit sea.

I hope you all have a wonderful summer!

2 comments:

  1. That's where I want to be. Standing by the water and just contemplating it all. Your wave photos teach me so much about the color and structure of waves! Now if I could just put it into practice! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lee, it is indeed a good place to be standing! You'll get the waves -- just practice! And the colors -- well, I think I've seen LOTS of different colors this past year or so!

    ReplyDelete